What’s the first feature customers see when they approach your business? The signage. At a basic level, a business sign tells customers where they are, draws their attention and attracts them into your business. But that’s just a starting point. When you want your business or organization to be truly noticed, you should consider the extra power of LED (Light Emitting Diode) message board signage.
LED message board signs are becoming more and more popular. Why? Signs showing LED displays are bright, dynamic and eye-catching — they stand out! Only an electronic message center is versatile enough to display targeted messages for a specific audience. People, of course, are drawn to viewing content on smartphones, tablets and computers. Digital is the norm, and customers have come to expect digital everywhere. So LED displays tap into our customers’ thirst for interaction. If you’ve ever been drawn to a sign showing a video, you’ve experienced the power of LEDs.
So would an electronic sign be worth it for your business? As your NJ sign store, we work with customers like you regularly to select the right sign for your needs. Let’s answer the 3 most frequently asked questions about LED signs.
What is an LED Message Board Sign?
First, let’s explain the word “LED.” An LED is a light emitting diode — an electronic light source — different from standard light bulbs. LEDs last for many years, generate less heat and consume less energy. These energy-efficient dynamos are easier to work with and have revolutionized signage. The life expectancy of LED is 50,000 to 100,000 hours, depending on the LED. An LED rated for 50,000 hours means operating 10 hours per day for 13 years!
An LED electronic message sign consists of thousands of these tiny lights. Other names for LED signs are:
- Electronic message centers (EMCs)
- Electronic signs
- LED displays
- Digital displays
- Changeable message signs
LED signs are made up of individual panels, or modules, which allow the signs to be built to almost any size. Each module contains LEDs arranged in clusters, known as pixels. Pixels are the basic building block of any content.
A high-quality color sign will have three diodes per pixel: one red, one green and one blue. The distance between the center of one pixel to the center of the next determines the resolution of the sign. This measurement is expressed in millimeters and is called “pixel pitch.” In general, the lower the number, the higher the resolution and the image quality of the sign. And, no surprise, the lower the pixel pitch, the higher the price.
What Are the Benefits of an LED Sign?
- More revenue. In a recent study looking at the economic benefit of outdoor electronic message boards by the University of Cincinnati Economics Center, researchers determined a break-even for an electronic message board installation may be as low as 3 months and as high as 15 months — depending on fixed costs. Nearly all the businesses found the installation of an EMC sign paid for itself in less than a year and contributed positively to the business’s bottom line for the remainder of its life cycle.
- Target a large, desirable audience of potential customers already at your front door. You can easily communicate more information rather than be limited by the size of a static sign. With a digital sign in front of your business, passing traffic will see your ad many times, giving you multiple exposures, or “frequency,” that can be difficult to achieve with other forms of advertising.
- On premise LED signs give you complete control over your message, so you can determine your message and control the timing, and have the agility to change the message immediately. Keep in mind, however, many towns have limits on how often the message can be changed.
- Ability to create a sense of urgency with your message by displaying specials, deals, and limited time offers.
- Cost-efficient. Change and update content at no additional cost instead of buying new signs or temporary banners for sharing public service announcements, as well as advertising festivals, store events, and community-wide events.
- Effortless, compared to changeable letter readerboards. No need to assign two people to withstand windy or icy weather conditions to update content. A person can keyboard the message from the comfort of a business office.
- Remind customers of your products and services.
- Establish a brand identity.
- Attract new customers.
- Promote high margin products.
- Help manage your business operations, such as recruiting new employees or sharing safety reminders.
Who Should Consider Investing in an LED Sign?
Depending on your funds, your organization may be more profitable with an LED sign if you have access to vehicle or pedestrian traffic to promote events and products. The greatest advantage of LED signage is increasing your interaction with customers.
Think of your sign as part of your marketing budget. Advertising with an LED sign is less expensive than traditional advertising, and more responsive and flexible.
According to Larry Gliozzi, owner of Loumarc Signs, signs containing electronic message centers are popular with urgent care centers, municipalities and auto repair shops.
“But just about anybody who has information to communicate or who wants to increase customers can profit from them,” he said.
Not sure if an LED sign is a match for your needs? Please call us, your NJ sign store, at 908-575-4000 to answer any questions. We will help you make the right decision on investing in the custom sign that fits your specific needs and budget.
Shannan Seely is a NJ writer for Loumarc Signs. She writes about choosing the right business sign, how the permit process works, sign costs and other business signage topics. Loumarc Signs is a NJ custom sign shop in business for over 24 years. Once a customer approves the sign, Loumarc Signs handles the rest — from permits to plans, fabrication to installation.